Welcome to MaxiMax Education & Migration Services
Get Started
Maximax Logo

Student Visa Subclass 500

May 27, 2024
By MaxiMax

What is the Australian Student Visa 500?

The Student Visa (Subclass 500) allows you to study in Australia for the duration of your enrolled course, with a maximum stay of five years. This means the length of your visa will directly depend on the program you choose.  For more details about the Subclass 500 visa, keep reading!

Student Visa (Subclass 500) Updates

In an effort to tackle labor shortages, Australia has increased the maximum work hours for international students on the Subclass 500 visa. Previously, these students could only work up to 40 hours per fortnight (two weeks) while their course was in session. However, the new rules allow them to work up to 48 hours per fortnight, providing them with more flexibility and the ability to contribute more to the Australian workforce.

What are the Eligibility Criteria for the Student Visa 500?

When applying for the student visa, ensure that you are in accordance with the following criteria. Keep this Student Visa 500 checklist accessible to mark off the relevant items as you fulfill each requirement.

  • To apply for the visa, you need to be at least 6 years old or older if not participating in a high school student exchange program and attending school. You should be:
    • Under 17 when beginning Year 9
    • Under 18 when starting Year 10
    • Under 19 as you commence Year 11
    • Under 20 upon entering Year 12
  • Applying also requires you to demonstrate that you are enrolled in a full-time Australian course registered on CRICOS. To do this, you will need to provide an offer letter or confirmation of enrollment for your desired course unless specific situations allow for alternative evidence of enrollment.
    • If you receive sponsorship from the Australian Government Department of Defence, you will need to provide a letter expressing their support.
    • As a participant in a high school student exchange program, you should present an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student form.
    • If you are enrolled in an approved course under the Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade or in a full-time course, it is necessary to submit a letter of support.
    • If you plan to remain in Australia as a postgraduate research student when your thesis is being evaluated, you must obtain a letter from your institution.
  • If you are under 18 and applying for a visa to live in Australia, there needs to be appropriate welfare arrangements in place. If you will turn 18 when entering Australia, some of this information may not be required.
  • You may also need to demonstrate English language proficiency for the visa. The Department of Home Affairs provides a tool that helps determine the necessary documentation. While the tool might indicate certain documents are not needed initially, they could still be requested by the government during application processing.

If you want to demonstrate your English proficiency, you need to show that you have achieved a specific score on a test approved by the Department of Home Affairs or that you qualify for an exemption. The visa application mandates that the test must have been taken within two years prior to submitting your application. There are numerous exemptions available for the test; please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website for more details.

  • If you plan to stay in Australia on a visa, it is essential to have suitable health insurance coverage unless exempted. This typically involves having Overseas Student Health Cover from an eligible Australian insurer. For detailed information about this requirement, contact the Department of Home Affairs.
  • You need to possess an eligible visa that is different from a bridging, enforcement, or criminal justice visa.
    • You can also apply 28 days after being granted a dependent diplomatic (temporary) visa, student visa, or special purpose visa.
    • Additionally, your visa cancellation must have been reversed as per the Administrative Appeals Tribunal notification.

If you don't have an eligible substantive visa and have previously held that visa after applying for it in the country while staying unlawfully, you may be ineligible to apply for a student visa. Having certain other visas might also make you ineligible; please refer to the Department of Home Affairs' website for further information.

  • You must demonstrate that you have adequate funds to support your stay in the country.
  • You must be a genuine temporary entrant in Australia and intend to return home after completing your studies here.
  • You must meet the character requirements set by the Australian government. Contact the Department for specific details on how to fulfill this requirement.
  • It is necessary for applicants to satisfy Australia's health standards before being granted any type of visa. This may involve a health assessment.
  • As part of the visa application, you are required to sign a statement affirming that you will respect Australia's laws and lifestyle.
  • Additionally, you must not have any outstanding debts owed to the government at the time of your application
  • If there was a previous refusal or cancellation of your visa while in Australia, it might impact granting this visa subclass 500.
  • If it is not deemed in your favor to be granted the student visa subclass 500 while you are under 18 years of age, the government may choose not to do so.

Student Visa 500 Processing Time

Student visa processing times can vary significantly, typically ranging from a few days to around a year. This variation depends on several factors, including:

  • The chosen course: Some courses might require additional checks, leading to longer processing times.
  • Completeness and accuracy of your application: Missing information or errors can cause delays while the Department clarifies details with you.
  • Meeting application fees: Unpaid fees will halt processing until resolved.

For the most efficient processing, ensure your application is complete, accurate, and includes all required fees.

If you are not eligible for an exemption from paying the visa fee for subclass 500, as the main applicant, you would incur a cost of $710. Additionally, there will be fees for each family member who applies for this visa with you. A student who is unable to complete their Australian course before their initial visa expires due to the coronavirus and needs to apply for another student visa may be eligible for a waiver of the visa fee.

Subsequent Entrant Visa 500

Your family members can also submit an application for a student visa (subsequent entrant) in ImmiAccount. They must also meet Australia's character and health requirements.

How the Australian Student Visa Works

The Australian Student Visa (Subclass 500) offers international students a pathway to study in Australia for up to five years.  This visa grants holders several benefits:

  • Pursue an approved course of study: You can enroll in a registered program at a qualified Australian institution.
  • Bring family: Include your spouse/partner and dependent children in your application.
  • Travel flexibility: Enjoy the freedom to enter and leave Australia as needed during your visa validity period.
  • Work opportunities: Once your course starts, you can work up to 48 hours per fortnight (two weeks).

This combination of study, family inclusion, travel freedom, and work options makes the Student Visa a well-rounded option for international students seeking an enriching educational experience in Australia.

Should I include my family members in my visa application even if they do not intend to travel with me?

Yes, you must declare your family members in your application regardless of their plans to accompany you on your trip to Australia.

Can You Include Family Members as You File Your 500 Visa Application?

The Australian Student Visa (Subclass 500) allows you to bring certain family members with you to Australia. While you can include your spouse for support, there are limitations on dependent children:

  • Eligible children must be unmarried and under 18 years old at the time you submit your visa application.
  • Children who turn 18 during processing will not be eligible for a student visa and may need to explore other visa options.

It's important to consider your family situation when applying for a Student Visa to ensure everyone has the appropriate visa type.

Frequently Asked Questions

It can be described as a temporary visa since it allows eligible non-citizens to come to Australia for a defined period to pursue their studies.

Please refer to the 500 visa checklist above for a comprehensive list of requirements that need to be met in order to qualify for the visa.

It's really challenging to respond to this question because each state in Australia has its own set of prerequisites for permanent residency. As a result, the criteria depend on your specific PR visa application and can differ based on individual profiles.

Australia employs a points-based system to determine eligibility for PR. A minimum of 65 points is required when applying for an Expression of Interest (EOI). Higher points increase the likelihood of receiving an invitation to apply for PR in the country.

The visa is typically valid for up to five years. To continue studying in Australia, you will need to submit a new application for a student visa.

Once you commence your course, you are allowed to work 48 hours per fortnight. During school holidays, there is no limit on working hours.

As an international student in Australia, it's important to juggle your work and study responsibilities while also maintaining enrollment and making satisfactory progress with your course. With a flexible number of work hours available, finding the right balance is essential.

You have the option to apply for this visa later as a subsequent entrant independent of your relative's application, using ImmiAccount. This is also referred to as a student-dependent visa subclass 500.

Contact Form

Book an appointment online with our Consultant

Phone: +61 488 851 108
Email: melbourne@maximax.com.au
Address: Level 1, 2 Queen Street Melbourne, VIC 3000

© Copyright 2024 - MaxiMax Education & Migration Services. All Rights Reserved
Chat with Our Team

Chat with Our Team

Typically replies within 5 Minutes.

I will be back soon

Chat with Our Team
Hello 👋 Thanks for your interest in us. Please do let us know how may we help you?
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram